All Saints Church-Community Centre
The Diocese of Toronto
Prominently located on the southeast corner of Dundas and Sherbourne Streets, All Saints Church & Community Centre performs a critical role in the community, offering several important outreach programs, including one for high-risk sex workers, emergency cold-weather sheltering, and several other drop-in functions, in addition to its role as an Anglican church. Since its completion in 1874 the building has had relatively few alterations, and had reached a point where the masonry and roof were in serious need of repair. As a heritage designated structure, the property was eligible for a City of Toronto Heritage Grant, which provides funding for conservation and restoration work. DWA developed a conservation plan for the building and submitted a heritage grant application in order assist the church to raise funds to repair and conserve the exterior masonry fabric. As a result, the church was awarded the highest dollar-value heritage grant awarded by the city of Toronto in 2016.
Once the heritage grant was received, DWA continued to oversee the work as the heritage consultant, coordinating the tender process for comprehensive upgrades and repairs to the building. Subsequent phases to the project will see DWA re-plan the way that programs integrate with the interior spaces of the building.
Image: Design Workshop Architects 2017